Camposol Residents Association
Central Liaison Committee
Minutes of 74th meeting of CLC held on 18th April 2011
Bob Owen Chairman
Les Crook Vice Chairman
Joyce Stewart Treasurer
Sandy Allison Secretary
The meeting started at 2.00 pm
Chairman’s opening remarks
The Chairman stated that he now had the keys for the Cultural Centre, and that the CRA had booked it for the first Thursday in every month, from 4-6 pm but would be able to also use it at other times if available.
The Council are to decide if there will be lockers provided for all of the groups who will be using the Centre
Joyce reported that as 31st March the account at the Caixa bank stood at 20851.14€.
This comprised of 6126.35€ General Fund and 14724.79€ Legal Fund. In addition there was 50.79€ Cash in Hand.
For those of you who may not have access to the CRA forum, I have included the minutes of the meeting with the Guardia Civil
14TH APRIL 2011
The purpose of the meeting was to discuss the security issues of Camposol.
Those present :-
2 Guardia Civil Officers
Luis translated for the meeting.
The Guarda Civil officers one lieutenant and one sergeant were not identified for security reasons.
The Guarda Civil officers said that firstly “Security begins at home”. Keep your home as secure as possible by fitting bars to windows and doors, using good, strong locks, having sufficient external lighting around your house and grounds and fitting an alarm system.
Bob asked if it was possible to have an English speaking liaison officer. This was refused as none of the current detachment of officers speaks English
GC then spoke about collaboration with the police. Report to them anything suspicious or out of the ordinary. Be aware of strangers, especially in the hours of darkness. Give as much information as possible. Make and colour of suspicious cars, take note of the registration number and a description of the occupants.
If you have to report an incident ring 112 and say “Habla Ingles”, there is a good chance that someone will speak some English and be able to help. If not use simple Spanish words to say what has happened and where. The GC said they will provide these words that operators receiving the message will understand and be able to get help to you as soon as possible. The downside of using 112 is that local police will be sent first, much to the GC´S annoyance, as the delay often hampers their investigations. If you can speak basic Spanish it is far quicker to ring the GC direct on 968 594 103.
Brian raised the subject of roads on B sector not having name boards. Luis undertook to provide the GC with maps showing street names.
It was emphasised that unless all incidents were reported it was difficult to plan patrols or get additional officers allocated to the area.
GC went on to explain that the area they have to cover is 541 sq kilometers, stretching from the Port to the whole of the Mazarron area and surrounding villages and reaches as far as Ramonette in Lorca. They have less than 50 officers to cover this very large area and therefore there may be delays in getting someone to the incident.
The question was asked that if there were 2 burglaries, for instance, one in Camposol and the other in Mazarron Town, which one would take preference. The GC assured us that each incident is judged on it’s merits, e.g physical violence, danger to life, etc.
Bob asked if a patrol car could be put on the roundabout on Sector B from say 2am to 5 am to stop all cars and ask, if they are not resident, why they are on Camposol. The GC said that there are at least 15 other ways on to Camposol from fields, hills and woods. When asked if these could be blocked GC said this is not possible as they are on private land and blocking them would be illegal without the owner’s consent.
Luis said that he is responsible for the Security company which operates on Camposol and it is a good deterrent to would be burglars. They patrol Camposol looking after their customer’s homes. He said he wasn’t touting for business but pointed out that the more members he had the better service he could offer and he could reduce his prices if enough people joined. Bob Owen agreed to speak to Luis to see if a good deal could be negotiated for the benefit of the owners on Camposol.
All those present agreed that at this point that further discussion was not necessary and we thanked Luis and the GC officers for attending the meeting.
At the point of publishing these notes we are still waiting for the GC to provide us with the recognised terminology when reporting incidents.
Peter said that in his dealings with the police forces in the UK, muggings and burglaries were not top of their priority list and no doubt the same was true of Spain, so as in the UK, the onus is on the individual to take as many precautions as possible.
The Chairman is going to see if we can get a price list from the Security Company at the Business Centre, with a view to getting reductions if more residents avail themselves of the service.
Infrastructure Report File.
It was agreed to follow Jackie’s suggestion, and keep all reports on file. This would ensure, that whoever had the duty ‘phone, would be aware of the situation, and could take the necessary steps to follow up.
Meeting with the Mayor
The chairman is compiling a list of questions for the Mayor at the meeting on Wednesday. These questions are only from the representatives of the various charities and groups who will be attending the meeting.
José, confirmed, that the Mayor was not doing anything illegal by holding this meeting, as long as he did not canvas for votes.
Any Other Business
Further to the minutes of the 72nd meeting if the CLC, Vice Chair reported that to date he had been unable to finalise details with Mario
He agreed to contact him again, and if we could not get a definite date, we would get quotes from another builder.
This work is now fairly urgent, as the cabin is deteriorating badly.
Notice Board in Consum
José is to arrange a meeting with the Manager from Consum, to check the feasibility of having a notice board in the foyer.
If this is possible, it will be available to the CRA, the gardening groups and other organizations for advertising events and news.
The subject of the members whose postings are put into the moderators queue, was discussed in detail, and it was decided that nothing has changed, and the restrictions still apply
There being no further business, the meeting closed at 3.45 pm
Date of the next meeting TBA